Which fireworks are PA residents now allowed to purchase and use?

PA consumers can purchase and use “Class C” or “consumer-grade” fireworks such as firecrackers, Roman candles, bottle rockets, and similar fireworks that contain a maximum of 50 milligrams of explosive material.

“Display fireworks,” which are classified as including salutes that contain more than two grains or 130 milligrams of explosive materials, and professional-grade aerial shells containing more than 60 grams of pyrotechnic compositions, are still only to be used by professionals with a permit from the municipality where the display will take place.

Who can purchase?

Anyone over the age of 18 years can purchase, possess and use consumer fireworks. Consumer fireworks do not include “ground and hand-held sparkling devices”, “novelties” and “toy caps.”

What are the restrictions on their use?

  • Cannot be ignited or discharged on public or private property without express permission of the property owner.
  • Cannot be directed at another person.
  • Cannot be discharged from or directed at a building or vehicle.
  • Cannot be discharged within 150 feet of a building or vehicle regardless if the building or vehicle is owned by the user of the consumer fireworks.
  • Cannot be discharged while the person is under the influence of alcohol, a controlled substance or another drug.
  • Municipalities may restrict use of consumer fireworks between 10 p.m. and 10 a.m. except:
    • July 2, 3, 4 and Dec. 31 when they may be used until 1 a.m.
    • If July 4 falls on a Tuesday, Wednesday, or Thursday they may be used until 1 a.m. on the immediately preceding and following Friday and Saturday
  • The following may take, remove or cause to be removed all stocks of consumer or display fireworks sold, used, stored, or held in violation of this law:
    • PSP
    • Act 120 certified municipal police officers
    • a sheriff or sheriff’s deputy
    • A member of a Pennsylvania bomb squad accredited by the FBI and certified in hazardous devices training

Check with your local municipality for applicable local ordinances.

Where can fireworks be purchased?

From a stand-alone, permanent structure which is licensed by the Department of Agriculture. Consumer fireworks may also be purchased through online, mail-order or other transaction, but delivery of consumer fireworks to a purchaser shall take place at a licensed, permanent structure.


Richland Township

Cambria County • Johnstown, Pennsylvania

Richland Township Municipal Office
322 Schoolhouse Road, Suite 110
Johnstown Pennsylvania 15904-2924

Phone: 814-266-2922
Fax: 814-266-2024

Hours: Monday - Friday 8 AM - 4 PM

Map of Cambria County with Richland Township highlighted

© 2024. Richland Township, Cambria County, Pennsylvania. All Rights Reserved. Trademarks are of their respective owners.

Designed by 1st Team Advertising

Select Your Language