The storm water requirements of the federal Clean Water Act are administered under the Pennsylvania Department of Environmental Protection’s Municipal Separate Storm Sewer (MS4) Program. In December 2002, DEP issued a General Permit requiring the implementation of a storm water management program for minimizing the impacts from runoff.
Under the MS4 Program, permittees are required to incorporate the following six elements into their storm water management programs:
- Public education and outreach
- Public involvement and participation
- Illicit discharge detection and elimination
- Construction site runoff control
- Post-construction storm water management in new development and redevelopment
- Pollution prevention and good housekeeping for municipal operations and maintenance
Homeowner Lawn Care
What is an MS4?
Storm Water Management Resources
*This Maine Coastal Program manual provides guidance on LID standards that municipalities can use in reviewing developments and issuing building permits for single family construction. It also proved guidance for both the reviewing agency and the project applicant in selecting and designing appropriate LID practices.